JSPOA - Friendship Center is a unique senior center, serving exclusively a population of frail older adults (60+) who may suffer from neuro-cognitive disorders such as dementia or Alzheimer's disease or mental illness. Many of our members have become socially isolated and partially dependent upon others for their daily living.
Friendship Center's supportive and structured environment enables its members to safely attend reality oriented programs designed to promote their enjoyment of "normal" daily activities. The center’s experienced and multicultural staff is innovative and creative in their service delivery. The staff includes a MWS Program Director, Case Manager, Licensed Art therapist and Program Coordinator.
The specialized activities enable members to identify and maximize their strengths, enhance their functional abilities, stimulate, and broaden their scope of reality and promote socialization with their peers.
Daily, a hot nutritious breakfast and lunch are served.
Friendship Center’s members living within southeast Queens are eligible to participate in the JSPOA transportation program.
Activities offered at Friendship Center include:
- Daily movement and agility exercises
- Daily reality orientation activities
- Monthly Birthday Celebrations
- Seasonal Holiday Parties
- Weekly discussion groups
- Cultural trips throughout NYC
- Shopping trips to favorite local vendors
- Physical Exercise
- Therapeutic and recreational art making
- Arts & Crafts
- Memory and Physical Stimulation
- Psychiatric and Medical Care
- Family, individual and group counseling